Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 11, 2011

It's All My Fault

Poor Quinn. He just doesn't know how to behave when he's tired/hasn't had enough sleep.

For most of his life he's been put to bed before it's too late, given the chance to nap when he's needed it. I've avoided sports, camps, classes, etc - if it interfered with a good bedtime and/or naptim for him. So really, the only chances he's ever had to get tired were while we are on vacation.

Then comes this summer. We've been much more flexible with the sleeping thing. Going to bed late seems to have become the norm and not the exception.

This would be fine - if he'd sleep in. Or if he'd fall asleep during "rest time".

Instead I find him in his room at 5:45 reading by the light of his window and trying to fool me into thinking he's sleeping until 6:30, like I asked of him. Or reading during a much needed naptime (like when he was up 'til midnight and up at 6am).

I know a lot of parents have this problem in reverse - their kids will stay up later reading with a flashlight under the covers. At night is the only time he'll fall asleep easily. But then when he wakes up to use the bathroom in the early morning - he refuses to let himself fall back asleep!

So it should come as no surprise to me that he's been tired, crabby, cranky, whatever. I'm tired of using that excuse for him - but that's what it is. The kid is not getting enough sleep. I'd hate to go back to our school-year bedtime for the summer - there's so much fun to be had after dinner. Of course, I'm also hating his new disposition.

If only he'd sleep in. Tonight I'm taking all the books out of his room.

I'm such a mean mom.

No comments:

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs