Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 15, 2011

I Get it!

I've learned this past year to let go of my own inhibitions about team sports. I never liked them. I was never good at them. I didn't like trying out - not making the team, etc. I found my place with music - everyone wins - everyone participates - everyone (usually) has fun. Even if you're not the best player in the band - your part is still important. You are part of a group and you all need to work together to accomplish something great.


So between my past relationship with sports and Quinn's feet issues I was very leery about signing him up for any team sports. And then his Physical Education teacher suggested it. As she put it, "at this age - everyone plays and they really try to make it fun. Any experience he can get running with his friends will help him break into a true run eventually."


So - Quinn's played basketball, soccer, and tee ball this past year. And he's loved every single sport. If you ask him what his favorite is - it's whatever he's playing at the time. We're just finishing up a tee ball season - where I signed both Quinn and Liam up to play together.


I get it now. The boys love it. They cheer each other on. They pay attention to the game (most of the time). They know the rules. They've improved with catching and throwing. They respect their coaches. And they look adorable.




Quinn's also taking piano lessons and it got me thinking. Why are we doing this? I have no dreams/hopes of him becoming a professional musician/rock star. I believe most parents have their children participate in a musical activity to encourage a love and appreciation of music. By participating and not just observing you feel a deeper connection to the music.


And it hit me. Why not give my kids the same experience with sports? I don't believe either one of them will go on to play professionally - or even in college (well, maybe Liam, but that's another blog post in itself). I can expose them to a variety of sports and allow them to build a deeper connection with each through participation and not observation. It'll work for now - as the games aren't competitive and everyone makes the team. We'll see what happens when they're older. But I've put my own fear about not being good enough to play aside and I've allowed them to determine what they feel comfortable trying.

No comments:

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs